top of page



Work Licences for Drivers Facing Drink or Drug Driving Charges

If you are facing a drink, drug or other driving-related offence – your licence may be disqualified. Losing your driver’s licence can have a significant impact on your life, particularly where your income is involved.

In some cases, you may be eligible for a type of restricted licence, such as a work licence, allowing you to drive for work purposes only.

What is a Work Licence?

A work licence is a restricted type of licence granted under special provisions that allows you to drive to and from work if you have been charged with a driving-related offence and have had your licence disqualified.

It is only granted to individuals whose work is directly connected with their means of earning a living.

With a work licence, you are not allowed to use your car for personal purposes such as grocery shopping, school drop-offs, doctor's appointments or similar reasons. The use is restricted to getting to and from work only.

How to Apply for a Work Licence

You will need to meet certain requirements to apply for a work licence.

First, you must have been on an open driver's licence at the time of the offence. Second, your blood alcohol reading must have been no more than 0.149 at the time of the offence, and you must not have had your licence suspended or cancelled in the past five years.

It's important to note that you must apply for a work licence before any licence disqualification period has been imposed by the courts. If the court has already disqualified your licence, you can no longer apply for a work licence.

To apply for a work licence, you need to make an application in the same court you will attend for the drink or drug driving charge. It's important to seek professional legal representation to help improve your chances of being granted a work licence.

Further Requirements for a Work Licence

To make an application for a work licence, you need to provide the court with specific evidence including an affidavit by yourself and your employer.

The affidavit should state your circumstances and why you need a licence for your job. You need to explain how you could lose your job if you are to lose your licence entirely.

If You Have Been Faced With a Driving-Related Offence

Obtaining a work licence requires meeting strict criteria and providing specific evidence. Seeking professional legal representation is crucial to improve your chances of obtaining a work licence and protecting your livelihood.

Talk to a Professional Traffic Lawyer

If you've recently faced a drug or drink driving charge and require a work licence, it's essential to seek the help of a professional lawyer specialising in traffic and criminal law. They can guide you through the application process and provide expert representation to help you get the best possible outcome.

Contact Creevey Horrell Criminal Lawyers

Based in Brisbane, Roma, Toowoomba and Townsville.

Visit to contact us today.

bottom of page